ARE YOU MANAGING YOUR TIME?
It is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back. What am I? Time. We are all on the big egg timer every day and every week. As life gets busier, the elusive quest to manage our time becomes more important. The problem however is that we can’t manage it, own it or stop it. The only thing we can control is ourselves and how effectively we utilise the hours we are gifted each day. As I haven’t seen Marty McFly, or a Delorean around Limerick recently we will focus in this piece on how we can be more effective with how we use our time going forward. As the great Jim Rohn once said, “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.“
Here are 5 simple things you can start doing to achieve more each day:
- Do an Audit for a full week
- Keep a diary of how you are spending every minute of your time for a full week. Be honest with yourself here. The results may well surprise you. Identify where you are squandering time, whether it be on your phone, social media or watching the Kardashians. Start claiming this time back to spend on working towards your goals and targets for the year.
- Plan your week in advance
- Don’t just wake up every day and react to what the world throws at you. Sit down on a Sunday night or Monday morning and plan out exactly how you are going to spend your time that week. Get granular on this and stick to it as rigidly as possible. This small discipline will give you more mental freedom than you can imagine.
- Minimise distractions
- If you want them then those shiny things are everywhere. Eliminate as many from your environment as possible. Turn off your wifi, get rid of notifications on your phone, leave your phone in the car or whatever it is you need to do to create a space you can be focused in. If you are not achieving this where you are then don’t just sit there. Grab your laptop, or pen and paper and move to your local coffee shop or hotel. The change in environment can be a fantastic way to stimulate you into action.
- Say NO
- A lot of the requests we get from others are things they could, or should be doing themselves. Don’t become a dumping pile for other people’s crap. You are merely sacrificing your goals for their goals. If you have always said yes to people it might feel uncomfortable at first, but stick it out, it will be worth it.
- Discover your Energy Peak
- We all have a certain time of the day where we are most alert and energised. Some are first thing in the morning, others can be later in the day, or even night. Focus on this and you will identify it for yourself quite fast. Once you know it, this is your GOLD. Do not waste this time on social media or WhatsApp chats. Use it every day for the things that are going to bring you most value and have the biggest impact. When you are planning your week schedule in the things of most importance to this time and only budge where absolutely necessary.
Start implementing these into your routine going forward. If you are still finding it difficult to be effective with your time then give me a call.
Ciao for now – John